I've included some details in the "How to submit" sections below, but be sure to click on the link to read their full requirements. As always, follow all instructions to the letter.
Harlequin Enterprises Limited is a Toronto-based company that publishes series romance and women's fiction. Owned by the Torstar Corporation, the largest newspaper publisher in Canada, the company publishes approximately 120 new titles each month in 29 different languages in 107 international markets on six continents. These books are written by over 1,300 authors worldwide, offering readers a broad range of fiction including romance, psychological thrillers and relationship novels. The company reported sales of 131 million books in 2006—half overseas and 96% outside of Canada.
What they are looking for: Harlequin Desire publishes contemporary romance novels that "feature strong-but-vulnerable alpha heroes and dynamic heroines who want love."
How to submit: First: check out the Harlequin Writing Guidelines and identify the Series that your novel best fits. The only lines accepting manuscripts are the Harlequin Series and Harlequin Kimani. Please note that their single title imprints comprising Harlequin MIRA, Harlequin HQN, Harlequin TEEN and Harlequin Nonfiction only accept agented submissions.
Second: check the Electronic Manuscript Guidelines for further instruction. Briefly, have your manuscript saved as .txt, .rtf, .doc or .docx, and follow the naming convention of LastName_SeriesInitials_Manuscript Title. For Series initials, see below. Please include your query letter as page 1 of your file, with your synopsis starting on page 2. The recommended length for your synopsis is between 500-1000 words. Your synopsis should provide an overview of your story – including the ending! Please note that your manuscript should start on the page after your synopsis.
Third: Please sign in or register to use Harlequin Manuscript Submission.
Fourth: If you have had encouragement from a specific editor or have information you think would be useful beyond your query letter, please include it in the comments box. If there is important information, do let them know.
Forever Yours is a digital-only imprint of Grand Central Publishing, which is part of Hachette Book Group. Forever Yours publishes new works as well as backlist titles from its nine-year-old Forever imprint. The imprint does two to four e-book titles a month
What they are looking for: Forever Yours is currently accepting romance submissions from all subgenres, including but not limited to: contemporary, romantic comedy, romantic suspense, western, historical, inspirational, paranormal, sci-fi/fantasy, futuristic, urban fantasy, steampunk, time-travel, and erotica. We are not accepting YA, mystery, general fiction, non-fiction, or poetry.
How to submit: They are accepting novella length works (8,000-35,000 words), as well as longer works from 35,000-100,000 words. Send the following to this address: ForeverYours@hbgusa.com
- A query letter introducing yourself, the genre you are writing in, and the word count of your work.
- A detailed 3-5 page synopsis.
- Your completed manuscript saved as an RTF file. Forever Yours will only consider manuscripts that are complete at the time of submission
Carina Press is one of Harlequin’s digital-first adult fiction single-title imprints, publishing first in digital, with releases in audio and print as well.Though Harlequin is mainly known as a romance publisher, Carina Press publishes a wide range of adult fiction genres and features books from talented authors in all genres, including romance, science fiction, fantasy, mystery and more.
What they are looking for: [From the website] We are seeking submissions in all subgenres of romance with all levels of sensuality. We welcome everything from the very sweet to the incredibly erotic, featuring couples (or multiples) from all walks of life and sexual orientation, including same-sex romances. Romances should focus on the development of the relationship, as well as external and internal conflict; the heat level should be appropriate to the book and enhance the story, and the primary relationship in the book should offer a happily ever after (HEA) or happily for now (HFN) in an emotionally satisfying manner. Sorry, but one of the couple cannot die or leave the other if it’s to be sold as a romance!
How to submit: Please submit queries for only completed, fully polished manuscripts, unless previously arranged otherwise with an editor. Queries must include the following and will not be reviewed if any piece is missing:
- Required: In the submissions form, you will be asked for a brief, introductory query letter listing genre, word count and a short description of the book, as well as any pertinent information about the author, including both legal name and pen name and any writing credits. The query letter is your sales pitch and we use the information included in it.
- Required: The full manuscript saved as an RTF or DOC file and attached, with file name TITLE_MANUSCRIPT where you substitute your book’s title in place of TITLE. (example: WarAndPeace_Manuscript)
- Required: 2-5 page synopsis of book that details character development, plot, and conflict/story resolution. Attach as an RTF or DOC file with file name TITLE_SYNOPSIS where you substitute your book’s title in place of TITLE. (Example: WarAndPeace_Synopsis)
- Please be sure to put the following information on the first page of all files: manuscript name, author pen name/legal name, email address, phone number, genre and word count. If you don’t include your phone number, it makes it impossible for us to make The Call!
- Combined size of both attachments must be under 4 MB in size. We’re unable to send files larger than this to our editors due to restrictions in our email system. If your manuscript is over 4 MB, please remove extra images, delete extraneous styles or font use that may increase file size
Boroughs Publishing Group is a digital-only publisher that focuses solely on romance novels, of all genres and lengths.
What they are looking for:
- Erotic Romance
- Romantic Suspense/Thrillers
- Urban Fantasy
- Young Adult
Please submit a synopsis of your book that summarizes the story, including the ending, that is no more than two pages long. Please title your synopsis e.g., Synopsis for Romance Novel, 85,ooo words.
Your submission must be double spaced, Times New Roman 12 point, with one inch borders, submitted in MS Word with the book title and your name in the header flush right.
Please submit your personal marketing plan. Don’t panic. We’re a full service publishing house. Of course we’re going to market your book. But in this day and age, let’s be realistic. You have to have some savvy about putting yourself and your work out there. Commitment to your work and your writing goals is a good thing.
All submissions are online. Response time: 8 weeks.